Results tagged ‘ Boston Globe ’

More Trade Rumors: DeRosa might come to Phillies in exchange for J.A. Happ and another prospect to Cubs as part of Peavy deal.

DeRosa may move to Phillies

Infielder could be instrumental in Cubs obtaining Peavy from Pads

The newspaper said the Phillies were working on a complex trade that would import DeRosa, who would provide insurance for Utley at second base and fill, at least partially, the club’s vacancy in left field.

DeRosa, the one-time quarterback for Penn, would move from the Cubs to the Phillies, who would send pitcher J.A. Happ to the Cubs, possibly with another prospect. The Cubs would then move Happ, the second prospect and more to the Padres in a package for pitcher Peavy, the 2007 National League Cy Young Award winner.

The Inquirer reported that the Orioles might be involved in the multiclub deal. “Three teams, possible,” the paper quoted a Phillies source as having said Monday night. “Four, doubtful.”

Ruben Amaro Jr., the Phils’ new general manager, declined to comment about the possibility of being involved in a Peavy trade, although a source said there have been talks. Pat Gillick, the outgoing GM who is now a consultant with the club, said on Tuesday morning that he has no detailed knowledge of the talks.

Utley, the All-Star second baseman, underwent surgery on his hip and is expected to miss at least two months of the season. The void in left field is the result of Pat Burrell filing for free agency. Burrell is not expected to re-sign with the Phillies.

DeRosa, 34 in February, appears to be an ideal fit for the Phillies. He batted .285 with 21 home runs and 87 RBIs in 149 games for the Cubs last season, playing six positions including second base (96 games) and left field (27). He is signed for the 2009 season for $5.5 million.

Amaro said on Monday that there was a lot of general interest in infielder Jason Donald, who played for bronze medal-winning Team USA during the Summer Olympics in Beijing and was recently named to the Arizona Fall League’s All-Prospect team

The Padres have been attempting to move Peavy, their ace, who is owed $63 million over the next four seasons. The Cubs have been the main target since a deal with the Braves collapsed last month, but a match between the Padres and Cubs hasn’t been found, so San Diego GM Kevin Towers has said a third or fourth team might be needed to get a deal done.

Towers said Monday that a deal with the Cubs will most likely need to take place this week at the Winter Meetings or he expects to halt the process of trying to move Peavy, the 27-year-old who won the National League Cy Young Award and that league’s pitching Triple Crown just one year ago.

Towers wouldn’t comment on the Phillies being a possible go-between to get Peavy to the Cubs, saying only on Monday that “there’s a package there that would please us.”

Meanwhile, Amaro said he continues to talk with myriad clubs and agents about filling his club’s holes, which also includes one that could be created by the possible departure of veteran left-hander Jamie Moyer via free agency.

According to an SI.com report, the Phillies are believed to have offered Moyer a two-year deal for about $14 million. Moyer is said to be looking for $18 million over two years. At the same time, the Phillies are said to be one of several teams to make an offer to free-agent right-hander Derek Lowe.

Amaro declined to talk about players on other teams he might be talking with, but said that obtaining a starting pitcher would not necessarily preclude the re-signing of Moyer.

“You can never have enough pitching,” Amaro said.

“We’ve spent the day trying to crystallize some of the things we want to do,” Amaro said. “We’ve had some sort of discussions with each of the 29 other clubs. Our desire is trying to improve this team.”

As far as Burrell goes, Amaro said he’s had no substantive talks about bringing back the right-handed slugger, who had three homers and eight RBIs in 14 postseason games.

The Inquirer also reported that the Phillies retain interest in left-handed-hitting, free-agent outfielder Raul Ibanez to play left. However, Ibanez would make the Phillies’ batting order unbalanced once Utley returns. Utley and Ryan Howard also bat left-handed, and without Burrell, the club would lack a right-handed power presence in a ballpark tailored for right-handed hitters.

Ibanez, 36, batted .305 in 187 at-bats against left-handed pitching with the Mariners last season. He batted .293 with 23 homers and 110 RBIs overall, playing in all 162 games.

But opponents would be more likely to throw left-handed pitching at the Phillies whenever possible, and that seemingly would serve to defuse Howard’s potent home run bat.

Ibanez is considered a favorite of Gillick, a one-time Mariners GM, the paper said. Gillick is in Las Vegas for the Winter Meetings.

If the Phils don’t get DeRosa or Ibanez, they may pursue free agent Juan Rivera, a right-handed hitter who played for the Angels in 2008. He could become part of a left-field platoon with left-handed-hitting Greg Dobbs.

The Phillies also have spoken with the Twins regarding outfielder Delmon Young. (H/T Phillies.com)

Even after reading this, my brain still hurts. Okay, a local paper, the Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting this and not the Boston Globe. Anyway, if this does happen, I hope the Phils know what they’re doing and that DeRosa will still help the team once Utley comes back, since Utley is the regular second baseman. I just hate to see Happ go, though, after what he did for the team this year. I’m just hoping that they aren’t going to send along another player who would have helped the team in the future. Or next year for that matter. As for them and Moyer, if they’re that close, money wise, to settling the deal, then just meet half way and get it done. It isn’t rocket science, you know. Now on Lowe, if they are able to outbid the Yanks, I’ll be really surprised. Lastly, guys, either re-sign Burrell or go after another right handed power bat. I think we already have enough left handed power in Howard and Utley.

Sources claim that the Phillies have made an offer to the Dodgers’ Derek Lowe.

Phillies make play for veteran Lowe

With Moyer talks hitting snag, club reportedly makes offer to righty

Derek Lowe’s name surfaced in a Boston Globe report, which indicated the Phillies have made an offer to the right-hander, who is represented by Scott Boras. Citing a source familiar with the club’s intentions, the report said that the Phillies have discussed the matter “pretty extensively.”

The newspaper reported another unidentified team — not the Yankees or the Red Sox, though both teams are expected to meet with Boras this week — has also submitted an offer.

Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. wouldn’t confirm or deny that an offer had been made, but said, “I will tell you that I’ve talked to Derek Lowe’s representatives. He’s not the only free agent that we’ve had discussions with. There have been plenty of them.”

The Phillies have also spoken with Darek Braunecker, the agent for A.J. Burnett, though it seems unlikely they’ll meet Burnett’s request for a five-year deal, though Amaro didn’t rule that out.

Philadelphia’s interest in broadening its horizons beyond Moyer has been spurred by a snag in talks with the 46-year-old, who earned $8.5 million in 2008 — $5.5 million in base salary and another $3 million in incentives. The lefty went 16-7 with a 3.71 ERA in 196 1/3 innings in the regular season, and he won Game 3 of the World Series.

Despite his age, Moyer is an attractive middle-of-the-rotation name in a market that includes fellow southpaws Oliver Perez, Andy Pettitte, Randy Wolf and Randy Johnson.

Lowe, 35, would command more dollars than Moyer, prompting some creative contract structuring — and may shift the focus toward a more fiscally responsible replacement for free-agent left fielder Pat Burrell.

The Phillies also must prepare for 10 potential arbitration cases, all of which will result in salary increases, and that could limit the team’s spending. Philadelphia didn’t offer salary arbitration to Moyer, preferring to remaining flexible in its offseason spending, so the club will not receive two Draft picks should Moyer land elsewhere as a free agent.

Hot Stove

The Phillies would lose one if they signed Lowe or Burnett. Moyer remains the priority.

“We haven’t put any deadlines on [Moyer making a decision],” Amaro said. “He clearly wants to pitch beyond [2009]. The challenge is to try and to add pitching. With or without Jamie, we’ll try to do it.”

As for Burrell, Amaro declined to say that his time in Philadelphia has ended, despite the belief that the team has little interest in bringing him back.

“I couldn’t really put a percentage on it,” Amaro said. “We haven’t had a whole lot of substantive discussions, but that doesn’t preclude us from bringing him back. This is a slow-moving process.” (H/T Phillies.com)

My take, I think this is all just a ploy on the Phillies part to get Moyer back to the negotiating table. I mean, remember who’s Lowe’s agent is, Scott Boras. I do not trust that guy, and not just because of the J.D. Drew fiasco. This guy just yells slime to me. If the Phillies have made an offer to Lowe, I’m sure Boras is going to have him asking the Phils for a lot more than they can afford to give out. Hey, Junior, get off your lazy butt, talk with Moyer, quit being cheap and seal the blasted deal already. Sheesh!!! Oh, and if you are going for Lowe, Junior, you better freaking deliver, dude!!!

And here’s Charlie Manuel’s official denial on the Phillies stealing signs.

Manuel denies stealing signs
Manager denies report of cheating vs. Boston
By Ken Mandel MLB.com

OAKLAND — Manager Charlie Manuel needed almost no time to respond to a report in the Boston Globe in which an unnamed Major-League official suspected the Phillies of stealing signs.

Manuel simply pointed to the scoreboard.

“We getting our butts kicked, and we’re stealing signs?” Manuel said, referring to the Phillies losing two of three games to the Red Sox last week. “We didn’t. Maybe they were the ones who were stealing signs.”

The Globe story said that the Red Sox haven’t filed a complaint with the league, and general manager Theo Epstein declined to comment.

This is the second time the Phillies have been embroiled in a sign-stealing controversy. After Philadelphia swept a series from the Mets in late August last season, New York levied an accusation. Bob Watson, MLB vice president of on-field operations, investigated and found nothing.

“They can check us out any time they want,” Manuel said after the Mets’ accusation. “When stuff comes up like that, it’s no big deal. They can sit up there during the game with the [television] camera crew, for all I care.”

His stance hasn’t changed, though he’d consider anything that would help his team win.

“First of all, we didn’t steal signs, but we would if we could,” Manuel said, with a laugh. “We’d definitely consider it.” (H/T Phillies.com)

Now then, can this non-starter of a controversy please go quietly into that good night? I for one hope so. I mean, we don’t want to give a certain fossil senator from my home state any more useless work now do we?

The Phillies stealing signs? What was that guy smoking?

I have now read about this for the second straight day. Come on, this has got to be somebody’s idea of a sick joke!!!!

The Boston Globe reported Wednesday that one major-league official thought the Phillies were taking Boston’s signs last week at Citizens Bank Park, although no official complaint had been filed. Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein had no comment.

The MLB offices had heard nothing about this matter as late as yesterday afternoon, so the report seemed to surprise them as much as Manuel.

“Taking signs?” said Manuel, whose team lost two of three to the Red Sox. “Hell, no. Are you [kidding] me? Maybe they’re the ones stealing the . . . signs. We’re getting our *** kicked and we’re stealing signs? We’re not stealing any signs. I wish we could. We would if we could. But we don’t.” (H/T The Phillies Zone)

Seriously people, the mighty Red Sox comes to Citizens Bank Park, whomp on our Phillies to win two of the three game played, and a Boston sports writer accuse our boys of stealing their signs? Come on, what kind of twisted Alice in Wonderland/Cloud Cuckoo Land world is this guy living in? Manuel has no idea what this guy is talking about, the Red Sox’s front office has made no comment, and the MLB offices has no idea what is going on. My opinion? I think this guy is full of it, is obviously trying to create a controversy that isn’t there and thought that by claiming that he got his information from someone within the MLB that he might be able to get away with it by hiding under their authority. Wouldn’t it have been nice for him if the MLB would just cooperate, hmmm? Moron, thy name is the Boston Globe. Aren’t you people just happy that your boys have come to our park and stump on our team? Well, aren’t you? Sheesh.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.